SPRAVATO Works Differently
Than Other Medications To
Get To Know SPRAVATO
Studied in adults with treatment-resistant depression*
Taken with a daily oral antidepressant
After 16 weeks of therapy, those patients who stayed on SPRAVATO did better than those who stopped therapy
Nasal spray you self-administer under the supervision of a healthcare professional
Greater reduction of depression symptoms at four weeksâ€ (compared to those who received a placebo and oral antidepressant)
Tell your doctor if you have a history of drug or alcohol abuse
After you take SPRAVATO, a healthcare professional will monitor you for at least two hours during the observation period for possible side effects. More About Side Effects
- SPRAVATO is taken with a daily oral antidepressant
- You administer SPRAVATO nasal spray yourself under the supervision of a healthcare professional at a certified SPRAVATO treatment center
- SPRAVATO is taken twice a week for the first four weeks
- After the first four weeks, SPRAVATO is taken once a week for a month
- After this, SPRAVATO is usually taken either once a week or once every two weeks
SPRAVATO Safety And Tolerability
- SPRAVATO nasal spray was evaluated for safety in both short- and long-term clinical trials of adults diagnosed with treatment-resistant depression.
- Do not take SPRAVATO if you have a blood vessel disease (aneurysm), an abnormal connection between your blood vessels (arteriovenous malformation), a history of bleeding in the brain or are allergic to esketamine, ketamine or any of the ingredients in SPRAVATO. Talk to your doctor to learn more.
How Is SPRAVATO Different?
HOW ORAL ANTIDEPRESSANTS WORK
Today’s most commonly used oral antidepressants are thought to treat depression by increasing levels of neurotransmitters (serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine) in areas of the brain that affect mood.
HOW SPRAVATO MAY WORK DIFFERENTLY
SPRAVATO targets the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor and is believed to work differently than currently available oral antidepressants. The exact way that SPRAVATO works is unknown. SPRAVATO is taken with a daily oral antidepressant.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOURÂ SPRAVATOâ„¢ TREATMENT
Watch This Video To Learn About The SPRAVATOâ„¢Â Treatment Process.
Preparing For Treatment
You’ll need to plan for rides to and from the certified SPRAVATO treatment center as you should not drive or operate machinery until the day after a treatment session, following a restful sleep. You may want to bring a book, a relaxing playlist or another form of entertainment for the session because your doctor will monitor you for at least two hours after treatment.
Some patients taking SPRAVATO may experience nausea or vomiting. You should avoid eating two hours before and drinking liquids 30 minutes before taking SPRAVATO.
If you take a nasal corticosteroid or nasal decongestant medicine, take these medicines at least one hour before taking SPRAVATOâ„¢.
Most Common Side Effects Of SPRAVATO:
Dissociation, dizziness, nausea, sedation, spinning sensation, reduced sense of touch and sensation, anxiety, lack of energy, increased blood pressure, vomiting and feeling drunk.
If these common side effects occur, they usually happen right after taking SPRAVATO and go away the same day.